SEO – What Is It? |:: Why Is It Important In Digital Marketing?
SEO - Search Engine Optimization, what is it? And why is it so important in digital marketing? Anybody that has any kind of website, an E-commerce store, or blog site can use SEO strategies to skyrocket insanely the sales of their products or services.
How is that so?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the bedrock on which successful digital marketing strategies are anchored.
Implementing a good SEO strategy makes it easy for search engines to rank your website.
It makes it equally easy for searchers to find your content.
Many savvy marketers and website programmers have discovered that a search engine optimization is a powerful tool in their overall digital marketing arsenal in helping them stay ahead of the curve in organic search results.
SEO – What Is It?
“Search Engine Optimization is the process is the process of affecting the online visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine’s unpaid results – often referred to as “natural” or “earned” results.” Wikipedia
In cornbread language, all that big grammar is saying is that Search Engine Optimization is the name coined for all the activities that attempt to improve search engine rankings.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is all about achieving the highest position or ranking possible in natural or organic listings.
This is listed as the main body of the search engine results pages (SERPS) based on a range of specific combinations of keywords (or keyphrases) entered by a search engine user.
Consider your own experience.
How do you start your search on the internet?
Most people are familiar with only two ways to search:
- One way is to type the URL if you know the name of the company, and you are shown the name of the website.
- The second way you find information is to enter some keywords in a search engine, such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, or Baidu and it spits out results.
- And the websites that you see on top of the list are the ones that have optimized their content using good search engine optimization strategies.
Now you see why SEO is necessary for any digital marketing strategy.
Even when you have epic content, you still need to reach your target market.
Many SEO specialists use different strategies for distribution. But for savvy marketers, SEO has always been one of the staples.
In digital marketing, your purpose is to take advantage of online platforms to increase conversions. SEO is the most reliable method of driving insane traffic to your website pages.
How Many Searches Are Made Each Day?
According to SmartInsights:
'in 2017, 46.8% of the global population accessed the internet and by 2021 this figure is projected to grow to 53.7%.
Using the data from Internet live stats, we can see the number of daily searches on Google - 3.5 billion.
This is equal to 1.2 trillion searches per year worldwide.
At any given time, there are tons of eyeballs searching for content on the internet.
That means that you have to be tweaking and optimizing your SEO strategy to stay relevant.
You need to learn how search engine algorithms affect the rankings of your content or hire an expert to do it for you.
And as you do, that would help you get the maximum return on your investment.
Consider these factors that would boost your SEO ranking:
- Clear hierarchy and text links.
- Website names and URLs.
- Meta tags.
- Usability and accessibility.
- Page design.
- Valuable, well-researched, information-rich content.
- Descriptive keywords for memorable URLs.
- Regular production of fresh content.
- Establish yourself as an authority in your niche.
If you want to attract insane traffic to your website, generate awesome leads, convert leads, and develop a relationship with your customers, you must use effective search engine optimization strategies.
Why Is Search Engine Optimization Important In Digital Marketing?
Irrespective of the current changes in algorithms, SEO continues to be a significant strategy of any digital marketing plan.
An effectively run campaign delivers a high return on investment in a way that you can measure and adapt.
No doubt, SEO is an important part of digital marketing.
As Google's search engine algorithms continue to evolve, it becomes increasingly harder for spoofs and scammers to rank highly in search results.
As an established brand with a solid search engine optimization strategy, following the white-hat rules make it easy for you to rank higher in search results than your competition.
Unlike other marketing strategies, what benefits does SEO have? Here are major reasons why SEO is important when developing your marketing strategy:
#1. SEO Makes It Easy For Your Brand To Be Found Online
SEO is one of the fundamental tactics that allows your website, quality content, and services to rank high on the Google search results page.
If your content is optimized for search requests from your target audience, it will be found in the top search results.
That means that you would be getting lots of traffic to your website and many conversions.
Conversely, your competitors whose websites are not optimized for search engines will be getting less traffic to their websites.
If you’re one of those who are putting a heavy chunk of your marketing dollars into paid search, you might want to rethink that strategy after reading this article.
According to search engine land, 'The number of searches performed each year equals at least 2 trillion but less than a quadrillion'
A quadrillion is 1,000 trillion!
Furthermore, an in-depth study by Conductor shows that in 2014, around 64% of over 310 million visits to 30 various websites were due to organic search.
That means that organic search has a better ROI than paid search.
#2. Visibility & Brand Awareness
We've already established that SEO helps your website appear high on search engine result pages (SERP).
When your brand is at the top of search engine rankings, it becomes known and remembered.
As your audience continues to see your brand or website associated with your company, you continue to gain more brand awareness and enlarged visibility.
Most consumers like to do business with a brand that they trust, and as you continue to be seen often in search results, your brand grows in credibility.
Even without your audience clicking on your website, you are still putting yourself out there and are visible to your target audience.
#3. Smart SEO Improves Return On Investment
Measuring SEO Return On Investment (ROI) is one of the hardest marketing activities to successfully argue (and one of the most difficult to measure), it does not stop many companies and organizations from increasing their SEO budgets year after year.
Even though businesses are increasing their budget, it is rare to find a company that measures their SEO return on investment (ROI).
Implementing an SEO strategy is a laser-focused inbound marketing strategy.
That is because you are offering your audience what they are searching for in a meaningful way.
This is awesome because your customers are happy that they can find you easily.
This, in turn, leads to an increase in sales of your products or services.
Since you're focusing on your customer base, therefore you are more likely to see more visits and sales per unit spend.
#4. SEO Helps You To Stand Out From Your Peers
Knowing what your competitors are doing is key to a successful business.
Keep an eye on emerging trends and adapting your marketing to follow this will help you stay ahead of the game.
Using your unique keywords will also help you to stand out from your competitors and make your target customers choose you.
Create An SEO Strategy
It may shock you to hear that whether you’re on board to take over, improve, or just starting your SEO strategy, the basics of SEO aren’t that hard.
They’re mostly just common sense.
This is not to take anything away from SEO experts.
Your friendly SEO experts are needed folks.
What they bring to the table in the form of expertise is stunningly valuable because there is a lot of science and art to SEO.
Moreover, it is constantly evolving because search engines like Google continue to update their algorithms.
The point is that you don’t have to have a master’s degree in SEO for your website to be well-positioned for amazing organic search engine traffic.
To have a sound SEO system you must have a good SEO strategy in place. Here are seven simple ways to build a strong SEO strategy:
Focus On Long-Tail Keywords
- Long-tail keywords are keywords or key phrases that contain three or more words and are more specific than the commonly searched keywords.
- They get less search traffic, but usually, have a higher conversion value since they are more specific.
- You are not going to get the results you're looking for if you don't know what keywords your target market is using to find solutions to the problems that your company solves.
- That means that you would do a little research.
- Take a moment to consider how a potential customer of your product or service would look for your services.
- How would you find solutions to your problem? What would you search for in your search engine?
- You would agree that it is far easier (and cheaper) to rank for specific keywords that are highly relevant to your audience than to rank for general words or phrases that your large corporate competition is bidding on.
- Long-tail keywords work so well for budget-conscious businesses because Google continues to advance its algorithm to favor content that is relevant to specific search queries.
Publish Quality Guest Blog Posts
Guest blogging or guest posting is the marketing strategy of contributing a post to another person's blog to build relationships, exposure, authority, and links.
Google has made authoritative links from a high-ranking website a primary ranking factor.
By publishing quality content, guest blogging offers you an awesome opportunity to secure a link back from another website, in addition to the other marketing benefits.
Guest blogging has become a potent marketing strategy that can strengthen your SEO tactics.
That is because it allows you to share your knowledge with a new audience and it generates backlinks.
Guest blogging is indeed a proven tactic to building your online ranking but it will require a significant amount of time to perform all the necessary tasks, including:
- Researching your industry to find relevant sites that would accept your guest blog posts.
- Crafting amazing content customized to the readers of that website.
- Reaching out to blog editors to build rapport and publish your quality content.
- Following up and continuing your relationship since most websites don’t let you do one-off blog posts.
- You must approach guest blogging with the simple objective of providing value to your readers.
- If your guest blogging is effective, your online ranking will increase. Because search engines will show that your business is an authority in your niche.
Optimize For Major Search Engines
- Your website should perform well in Google. It should also perform well with every other search engine like Yahoo, MSN, AOL, and Bing.
- Each search engine has different search algorithms that you need to understand.
- Once you understand their ranking factors, you can make your website compatible with these searches.
- You never know the preferred search engine that your audience may come to.
- Unlike getting viral on social media, search engines can’t be pleased overnight.
- But, once you’ve built authority in their eyes, then search traffic doesn’t fade away like other sources.
- Search traffic is stable, scalable, and free.
Create An Awesome Website And Quality Content
- Create a user-friendly website, with clear navigation, SEO keywords, optimized Meta tags, and title tags. And it should have balanced keyword density.
- Every page should have keyword themes, with unique and non-plagiarized content.
- There should be no keyword stuffing as well.
Quality And Relevant Linking And Social Media
- You must pay good attention to building quality and relevant links. Good links help you get a good number of web traffic.
- And in line with SEO, you need to set up an exhaustive and up-to-date social media platform.
- You get a lot of traffic through the social presence of your business.
Most Popular Websites For Social Media Optimization
Social media sites are created for different audiences and have very unique personalities and cultures.
Understanding how each of these sites works makes it easy for you to reinforce or leverage your ongoing marketing strategies.
Let us take a look at the different social media sites:
A Facebook page for business is quite different from a personal Facebook page.
A lot of positive results come with a 'fan page'.
With this social media site, you have a networking event 24/7.
You can use these networking events to offer products for sale, share tips, short audios, videos, or links to articles.
While you can invite 'strangers' to join you on Facebook, on LinkedIn the emphasis is making connections strong with people you already know.
It maximizes the personal connections a person already has and can use those connections to ask for referrals.
It works on the principle of flagging an article for the attention of somebody else.
This social media bookmarking site makes it possible to share links to articles, online content ( videos, photos, audio, etc.)
Digg is a user-driven content site where members can vote, bury and comment on stories submitted by other members.
Del.icio.us is a Yahoo-owned social bookmarking site. Del.icio.us allows members to save bookmarks publicly using tags.
While at the social bookmarking site, tag your content.
Youtube is the most famous video sharing and upload site. Videos that have commercial content are allowed.
You can use Youtube to showcase your product or service.
You can also use it to showcase even a "how-to" video.
Twitter has been considered the cocktail party of the social media world. It is a micro-blogging site making use of only 280 characters per post.
The idea is to use 280 characters or less, to share relevant, compelling information with your prospects or customers.
This site acts as a discovery/recommendation engine and matches users with Web sites, videos, images, etc. based on their interests that they may have been previously unaware of.
The algorithms continue to evolve.
That means that there is no static SEO system that is going to stay forever since “SEO is a never-ending process.”
Since the behavior of your audience changes, search engines, too, have developed different policies that take into consideration such changes.
For your SEO strategy to gain traction, you must think about your target audience, their preferences and dislikes, the usability of the website, and well-thought optimization plans.
Some marketers may think only about how they would rank in the SERP without giving a hoot about their users.
You can be sure that the search engine robots will take note of the quality and relevance of your website after indexing it.
However, if the search engine robots find out that some dishonest tactic was used to rank high in the search results, they will surely spam your site, and in worst cases, they will ban your website.
Having incorporated all these, a digital marketing strategy with balanced SEO moves will then definitely succeed in getting noticed by the target audience.
If you're having trouble implementing these SEO strategies, please contact us.
WhatsApp us at: +234 080 331 75396 or +234 080 579 37786